Global Gum Market - Growth, Trends And Forecasts (2017 - 2022)

Published - Jan 2017 | Category - Food & Beverages | No. of Pages - 157 | Published By - Mordor Intelligence

Report Highlights

Market Insights

Gum is one of the most emerging confectionary categories in modern consumer purchase. The edible gum falls in the most impulsive purchase category, which alone accounts for almost 44% of the total impulse purchase market. Gum is ranked third in the overall confectionary market, after chocolates and candy. Currently, the sugar-free and tooth decay reducing gums have the highest demand. Due to factors such as stress releasing properties and other medical benefits of chewing gums, the confectionary market is growing, year on year. The new category of energy gum is another emerging area; where most of the top players like Wrigley, Navson, and Kerry gum have already started their production.  Currently valued at around USD 25.1 billion, the market is expected to reach USD 32.50 billion by 2021, at a CAGR of 5.30%.

Market Dynamics

The global gum market is largely driven by factors such as consumer inclination toward impulse purchase and dental benefits. While the edible gum market is increasing at a significant pace, there are a few constraints that are slowing down the market, which include an increasing environmental concern and the problem of disposing of masticated gum. The rising popularity of natural gum based products and the introduction of innovative gums in new flavors and products with an array of health benefits hold a good opportunity for the confectionary market.

Market Segmentation

The global gum market can be broadly segmented by product type, sugar type, distribution channel, and geography. Regarding product type, the gum market can be classified into bubble gum, chewing gum, functional gum, energy gum, and others; wherein, the chewing gum and bubble gum segment has the highest demand. The sugar type gums are two varieties - sugared and sugar-free. The market is further categorized by the distribution channel into hyper markets, super markets, and convenience stores, departmental stores, specialty stores, online purchase, etc.

Regional Analysis

The global gum market is dominated by the European region, which holds 29.6% of the total market share. Europe is the largest consumer of gum; wherein, Bulgaria, the UK, Switzerland, and Poland are the major consumers, with Bulgaria leading in the region.   In the Asia-Pacific region, China and India are the largest markets for gum consumption.  Globally, Asia-Pacific is the second largest as well as the fastest growing market. North America is growing at a slow rate, whereas South America is growing at a faster rate. Africa is also witnessing a good growth in gum consumption.

Competitive Environment

Moderate competition can be seen in the global gum market, with the big organized players controlling only 30% of the market and the remaining 70%, which is unorganized, being controlled by local gum manufactures. The market entry for new players is easy due to the growing regional demand for different flavors, along with sugar-free and energy gums. A large number of gum alternatives are available in the market; this is enabling the establishment of new players in the market.  New product launches of gums with innovative flavors, natural gum products with good medicinal properties, and organic gum products have been adapted strategically for long-term market growth.  

The major players in this market include -






Key Deliverables in the Study

Market analysis for the global gum market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.

Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.

Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.

Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.

Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors at both global and regional level.

A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.

A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.

Insights on the major countries/regions where this industry is growing and also identify the regions that are still untapped.


Quick Buy

Latest Publications